Know menorca through culture.
The inclusion of Menorca under British sovereignty made a deep and lasting impression on the island, leaving a wealth of indelible cultural signs such as the numerous English words that blended into the Menorcan language, architectural styles still in evidence today, culinary dishes, children’s games, dances and so on.
The British also brought their own period style furniture, including Queen Anne, Chippendale and some Sheraton pieces, all of which were later copied by local cabinet-makers. Menorca gin, made by artisans in Maó by distilling juniper berries and wine vinegar, was first introduced by the British, who also imported their distinctive culinary preferences.
Traditional puddings became known as “greixera dolça” and “brou de xenc” can trace its origins back to English stock made from beef shank. Gravy was known locally as “grevi” and “manteca inglesa” or English butter features in many Menorca recipes, and the delicious “piquéis” are pickled gherkins and capers. Children still play “mérvels” – marbles – and tell “joques” – jokes – and chase each other shouting “fáitim” – “fight him”.
The fort stands on the southern side of the entrance to Maó harbour, in the cove Cala de Sant Esteve, and was built by the British between 1720 and 1726. It owes its name to Sir John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough, the most prominent British General of the time. Together with Sant Felip Castle and the Stuart Tower, or En Penjat Tower, its role was to protect the entrance to the port of Maó. In 1782 the fort was partially destroyed by the Spanish and had to be rebuilt, with a few modifications, during the last period of British rule (1798-1802).
Sant Antoni/Golden Farm
Sant Antoni is in the northern part of Maó harbour known as “S’Altra Banda” (the other side). Legend has it that Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton conducted their love affair here in 1800. For this reason, the residence is also known as The Golden Farm or Nelson’s House.
The earliest traces of human occupation date from 2100 B.C. Since that time up to the arrival of the Romans in 123 B.C., the island’s Prehistory unfolded in various stages. One of Menorca’s most emblematic buildings, found only on the island, are the “navetas”, collective burial monuments containing up to a hundred individuals together with their grave goods, like the Es Tudons naveta near Ciutadella, with remains dating back mainly to the 9th century B.C. The “talayots”, conical dry stone towers, were built between 1000 and 700 B.C. a.C.
Their main purpose was to keep watch over the surrounding area, as well as to provide a focal point for the communities living around them.
During this time, known as the Talayotic period, burial caves were dug out of the cliffs in coves and ravines like the Calascoves necropolis near Alaior.
The oldest are small, rounded or oval-shaped and are located in elevated areas that are difficult to reach.
The post-Talayotic period
started in 650 B.C. This was the time when the “taula” sanctuaries, Menorca’s most unique and distinctive constructions, were built.
The enclosures are built on a horseshoe-shaped base with a concave front. They were used for human and soil fertility rituals, involving the sacrifice of domestic animals, wine libations and the symbolic breakage of amphorae.
Evidence shows that fire played a ritual and symbolic role in all these monuments. The circular houses built in the settlements were about 75-79 square metres in size.
The largest known dwelling of this kind is the “Círculo Cartailhac” in the Torre d’en Galmés settlement in Alaior and dates from the 2nd century B.C. The occupants cooked, did their weaving, made cheese and milled cereal all under the same roof.
The houses consisted of a central patio area, rooms with dividing doorways, a fireplace and a larder. They were built from large blocks of stone and the roof was made of wooden beams, earth and small stones.
The building attached to one side of the houses is known as the hypostyle room because of the huge interlinked stone slabs forming the roof and held up by pillars. It was used as a store.
The islanders made their own handcrafted pottery using rudimentary ovens and they also produced bronze tools and utensils.
They did not use coins for trading and they left no markings or rock paintings.
They had no use for gold or silver as their most valuable items were made of bronze and iron.
In their earliest period they built strong trading bonds with Central Europe and later with commercial cities along the Mediterranean coast.
Camí de Cavalls
Years ago Menorca had a beautiful seaside path that surround the island, crossing remote bays, gullies, woods and fields. It was known as the Camí de Cavalls (Bridle Path), and used by the British soldiers on horseback to guard the coast when they occupied Menorca. This wonderful circuit has been lovingly restored and signposted so that nowadays everyone can enjoy it.
It is well worth walking right round the island over a few days (although you are not allowed to camp on the beaches), or do it in stages. One way or the other, it is a remarkable way to truly appreciate both the countryside and the coastline.
It would appear that the path originally dates back to the time of King Jaime II, who ordered each of his knights to have a horse ready for defending the island and its inhabitants. The path is the outcome of the royal order. Little did the knights imagine, as they patrolled the coastline, that the path they were riding along would centuries later become a coastal path, which, after much hard work, would be open and accessible to all.
The history of the Camí de Cavalls is ancient, but well documented. For example, during the first British domination the governor Richard Kane deemed it a ‘royal way’ in 1736, and therefore ordered it to be, ‘Maintained and accessible, as it had been in the past’.
A few years later, in 1758, the French governor the Count de Lannion authorised its upkeep and had it widened. The first known map of the island showing the Camí de Cavalls dates from 1780. It was drawn by the French cartographer Louis Stokes de Arco de la Rochette. A couple of years later, the Spanish governor of the island, the Count de Cifuentes, said, ‘The paths for the horses are open and can be used unhindered’.
More recently, the Balearic Islands Parliament passed the Camí de Cavalls law (Law 13/2000 of 21 December), which established the public right of way of the path, in response to public demand. Now everyone can come and walk the Camí de Cavalls and go right the way round the island. With all the information available on this page we hope you enjoy coming here to discover Menorca and its countryside, along with all its idiosyncrasies and history, and you come to value and appreciate the island.
UNESCO recognized Menorca as a natural biosphere reserve on 8th of October of 1993, taking into consideration its high degree of compatibility achieved between the development of economic activities, expenditure and the conservation of a heritage and landscape that has maintained, and continues maintaining today, an exceptional quality.
Menorca has a very rich and traditional rural countryside. It hosts a remarkable diversity of Mediterranean habitats in which rare animal species and plants live, some of them in threat of extinction.
There are more than 400 biosphere reserves all over the world, where the concept of the sustainable development is being tried and tested.
They are places in which human activity is developed in the best harmony possible with the vital conservation of natural resources and cultural heritage.
Menorca is a member of the Spanish Network of Biosphere Reserves and have contact with other allocated biosphere reserves in Program Man and Biosphere (MaB Program) of UNESCO.
With the collaboration of Menorca society, some NGOs and local businesses, Menorca is carrying out development strategies to benefit from its natural beauty but also to preserve it.
In order to make these aims a reality. We also need the support of our visitors, because together we can truly help to make development possible with the utmost respect for our environment.
In all rooms, common areas and Garden
Parking inside the property and exclusively for clients
Split-system air conditioning, exclusive for each room
Coffe and Tea 24h.
minibar available 24h.
Daily room cleaning
Daily cleaning of the rooms with Covid-19 protocols
Pool with terrace and exclusive hammocks for each room
Checkin & Checkout
System of arrival and departure of the establishment 24 hours. Keyless entry. Electronic code system or from the Mobile
Free cancellation system in case of Pandemic. Minimum deposit for your reservation.
Children are welcome from the age of 16.
Pets are not accepted
* Air Conditioned
* Hair Dryer
* Soundproof Rooms
* Sefe box
* Soundproof Rooms
* coolboxes for beach
* Beach towels
* Room with living room
Souperior wiht Terrasse
* Terraza, entre 12 y 18 m2.
* outdoor furniture and pergola
* A/C Split-System
* Free wireless